Cumberland County Schools Superintendent Connelly Named Best in North Carolina
Congratulations are in order to Dr. Marvin Connelly of Cumberland County Schools, who was recently honored as the 2024 North Carolina Superintendent of the Year!
This extremely prestigious award in the North Carolina educational system is given in recognition of superintendents who demonstrate exceptional leadership in K-12 public school systems. And Dr. Connelly certainly fits the bill, and then some.
According to a news release by Cumberland County Schools, Dr. Connelly’s inspiring efforts with the Cumberland Commitment: Strategic Plan is what made him a clear frontrunner for the award. Thanks to this plan, the Cumberland County school district has seen incredible progress and innovation, all overseen by Superintendent Connelly.
But that’s not all that Dr. Connelly has had his hands on this year. Some of his other district accomplishments include:
- Implementing the PASE Framework: Developed the PASE (Performance, Accountability, Support, and Empowerment) School Framework, increasing accountability and categorizing schools into tiers based on performance, thereby guiding targeted support and intervention.
- Central Office Reorganization: Coordinated across departments to realign services, including curriculum support, data and accountability, and budget and finance, aligning them with the strategic goals and the PASE system. Led a district-wide reorganization to improve student outcomes, involving Central Services leaders as crucial transformation agents.
- Strategic Initiatives and Support Systems: Launched initiatives like the Opportunity Culture Strategic Staffing model in 12 schools and a district-wide tutoring network, supporting 25% of students with the highest needs.
- Engaging Families in Education: Established the Cumberland Family Academy and the Family Ambassador Volunteer Program, fostering strong school-to-home partnerships and enhancing family engagement in the educational process.
- Achieving Notable School Improvements: As a result of these efforts, the 2022-2023 academic year saw remarkable improvements in 98% of schools, with significant gains in growth index scores. This transformation led to many schools exceeding growth expectations.
- Advocacy for Equitable Education Funding: In collaboration with the Cumberland County Board of Education, championed equitable funding at state and federal levels. Successfully secured crucial resources, including a $5 million Mental Health Service Professionals Demonstration Grant.
According to CCS, Dr. Connelly was humbled by the honor, expressing his gratitude in his acceptance speech at the Koury Convention Center. “I am deeply honored and humbled by this recognition, which is a testament to the unwavering dedication of the entire Cumberland County Schools family,” he said. “This award reflects our collective commitment to the success of every student. I am immensely proud of our achievements and look forward to continuing our journey toward educational excellence for all.”
Once again, congratulations to Dr. Connelly of Cumberland County Schools for being named North Carolina Superintendent of the Year. Our community is grateful to have you!