André 3000 Releases Solo Debut ‘New Blue Sun’
André 3000’s debut solo album has arrived. New Blue Sun contains eight songs of the rapper playing the Contrabass flute, Mayan flutes, bamboo flutes, and using digital wind instruments, per Pitchfork.
Unlike his previous projects, New Blue Sun does not contain any vocals. 3 Stacks addressed why he decided not to rap on the album earlier this week in an interview per the publication.
“It’s not like I don’t try, or it’s not like I have a lot of these songs just sitting—I have songs, but it’s not like rap things that I really feel happy about sharing. And really, that’s the most important part,” he said.
The fifth track on the album is called “Ninety Three ‘Til Infinity And Beyoncé.” Although none of Beyoncé’s vocals or any production work by the entertainer appear on the album, he spoke about asking Queen Bey’s permission for her name on his record. He told the outlet that he texted Jay to ask her if it was okay, and once they heard the premise she cleared it. He came up with the song title after one of his favorite groups Souls of Mischief and their song “93 ’til Infinity.” It was a nod to Toy Story’s Buzz Lightyear as the character is known for his line: “To infinity and beyond!” He admitted that the song title was “silly” but he was just having fun with it.
Listen to “Ninety Three ‘Til Infinity And Beyoncé” below and check out the rest of the tracklist:
New Blue Sun Tracklist:
1. “I Swear, I Really Wanted To Make A “Rap” Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time”
2. “The Slang Word P—- Rolls Off The Tongue With Far Better Ease Than The Proper Word Vagina. Do You Agree?”
3. “That Night In Hawaii When I Turned Into A Panther And Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn’t Control … S— Was Wild”
4. “BuyPoloDisorder’s Daughter Wears A 3000™ Button Down Embroidered”
5. “Ninety Three ‘Til Infinity And Beyoncé”
6. “Ghandi, Dalai Lama, Your Lord & Savior J.C. / Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, And John Wayne Gacy”
7. “Ants To You, Gods To Who ?”
8. “Dreams Once Buried Beneath The Dungeon Floor Slowly Sprout Into Undying Gardens”