Jonathan Majors Sentencing Delayed
Jonathan Majors’ sentencing has been delayed after he was found guilty of one count of assault and one count of harassment. The actor was convicted back in December and was acquitted of two additional charges of assault and aggravated harassment. On Tuesday (Feb. 7), Judge Michael Gaffey told the Manhattan courtroom that the Creed III star will be back on April 8 for sentencing.
“The Court has already heard and rejected the arguments supporting this motion when the defense originally raised them during the trial,” a spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office said after the hearing, per Deadline. “The jury then convicted Mr. Majors of Assault in the 3rd Degree and Harassment in the 2nd Degree. We will respond in detail in court papers.”
Majors was arrested back in March after an argument with then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari in New York.
The Lovecraft Country spoke to Good Morning America last month, noting that he wanted to tell his side now. He did not take the stand during the trial, but he says he plans to appeal.
He got emotional, saying that he had been very “alone,” other than his partner actress Meagan Good, who was by his side during the trial, and his dogs.
A phone call between Majors and his then-girlfriend Jabbari made headlines after he told her to be more reminiscent of Michelle Obama or Coretta Scott King.
“I’m a great man. A great man. I do great things for my culture and for the world… The woman that supports me needs to be a great woman,” Majors was heard saying on the recording. “Two nights ago, you did not do that, which took away from the plan.”
He clarified exactly what the comment was intended to mean.
“It was me trying to give an analogy of what it is I’m aspiring to be, you know, these great men — Martin, President Obama — and trying to give a reference point to that.”
Majors has not spoken out after the sentencing delay at the time of this writing.